Available in both virtual and in-person, instructor-led formats, this two-day Instroduction to General Maintenance course is designed to meet the essential needs of every maintenance technician in every type of facility. It is the first course of its kind to cover the fundamentals of electrical, HVAC, and mechanical maintenance tasks in a single two-day seminar, along with the basic safety skills that every worker needs.
This is an ideal starter course for new hires as well as experienced technicians who made need a refresher, and an excellent base for the more in-depth training we offer in our electrical, HVAC, and mechanical categories. Combine it with our new Troubleshooting Essentials for a 4-day workshop that will put your facility on a path to better safety and productivity.
This 2-day seminar is just $1,195.
Download the Introduction to General Maintenance brochure
What is Virtual Instructor-led Training (VILT)?
Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) is a live audio and video classroom experience over the internet with 100% interaction with the instructor, from the comfort of your own home or workplace. All you need is an internet connection, a microphone, and a webcam, and you can join the session from anywhere. With full audio and video capabilities, you are equipped with the tools you need for maximum learning. Visit our Virtual Instructor-Led Training page to learn more about the benefits of VILT.
View My Saved Seminars
Day One - Discussion Topics
Basic Electrical Skills:
- Electrical Safety in the workplace: 2018 NFPA 70E, OSHA
- When and how to select Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Lockout/tagout (LOTO)
- Multimeter Selection and Safety
- Electricity Fundamentals (Voltage, Current, and Resistance)
- AC vs. DC and their Applications
- Single Phase vs. Three Phase
Day Two - Discussion Topics
Basic Electrical Skills continued:
- Transformers and Electrical Distribution
- How to Select and Replace Switches and Receptacles
- General Wiring Techniques
- Checking and Replacing Fuses
- When and Where should GFCI’s be Used
- Replacing Light Fixtures/Ballast or Replace with LEDs
- Electric Motor Basics and Troubleshooting
- Fundamentals of Reading Electrical Schematics
- Preventative Maintenance Best Practices
Basic Mechanical and HVAC Skills:
- Mechanical Safety in the Workplace
- Working with hand tools
- Ladder Safety
- Chemical Handling safety
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- HVAC System Fundamentals
- Bearing Fundamentals, Types, Installation, and Applications
- V-Belt Types, Alignment, and Proper Tensioning Procedures
- Basics of Pumps, Blowers, and Fans
- Fire Extinguisher Use and Inspection
Looking for Additional Electrical Training Courses?
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Upon completion of this seminar, the student will receive a certification of completion with 8 classroom hours (.8 TPC Training CEUs) per day attended. Visit our continuing education units page to determine if this class is accepted by your state licensing agency.
All of our courses are backed by our No Risk Registration & Money Back Guarantee